Peter Russell Bloomfield PhD, MBCS, BSc (Hons)
This website is my personal blog about technical topics related to my job as a software engineer, along with anything interesting I encounter in my professional development and personal projects.
I’ve been programming professionally since 2007, and before that as a hobby since the early 90s. I’m currently a Principal Software Engineer at Smoothwall (part of Family Zone), where we make software to protect and support the safety and wellbeing of millions of children throughout the world.
I’m a member of the British Computer Society and British Mensa. In my free time, I enjoy archery, playing the piano, board games, and attempting DIY (with varying degrees of success!). I also have a crazy beagle who keeps me far too busy.
- 2022-present: Principal Software Engineer, Smoothwall
- 2019-2021: Staff Software Engineer, Smoothwall
- 2018-2019: Software Engineer, Optalysys
- 2016-2018: Senior Software Engineer, ADI
- 2011-2016: Senior Software Engineer, Vertual
- 2010-2011: Technical Consultant, TuDocs Studios (part-time)
- 2008-2011: Research Assistant, UWS (part-time)
- 2010: Mobile Games Developer, Aarcee (part-time freelance)
- 2008-2010: Consultant Technologist, SCET (short-term contracts)
- 2007-2008: Research Assistant / Developer, UWS
- 2011-2017: Editorial Board Member, Computer Games Journal
- 2014-2016: Community moderator, Arduino Stack Exchange
- 2009-2011: Committee Member, Scottish Video Games Archive
- 2008-2009: President, Research Students Society at UWS
- PhD - Computing, University of the West of Scotland, 2018
- BSc. Hons (1st Class) - Computer Games Technology, University of Paisley, 2007